As is the case with many structures in post-war Germany, one church is realizing it still has a connection to the Nazi party.
The Jakobskirche village church in the small town of Herxheim am Berg holds a bell that created controversy after it was discovered to be emblazoned with Nazi insignia.
The church is 1,000 years old and thus was standing throughout the country’s dark period during World War II and the Holocaust. The bell was reportedly added to the church in 1934.
The bell was found to bear a swastika under the phrase “All for the Fatherland, Adolf Hitler.”